Press "Enter" to skip to content

Insurance Commissioner Advises Businesses Damaged by Looting to File Claim ASAP

Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler is advising Washington state business owners who have experienced damage during protests to contact their insurance companies as soon as possible.

Damage to businesses and commercial properties caused by theft and vandalism, including fires, should be covered under their commercial property insurance policy. The only exception would be if the policy specifically excludes that type of loss.

Damage to plate glass windows may require separate coverage, depending on the language in each business’ policy. Review your policy carefully.

Businesses that have been temporarily closed due to the coronavirus outbreak are not considered vacant under the terms of an insurance policy. Additionally, damage caused during a protest should not be considered a “war and military action” exclusion.

Businesses should do two things immediately:

  • Contact your insurance company if you are going to file a claim.
  • Consider retaining professional help to clean up debris and secure your property to protect it from further damage. Many commercial insurance policies will reimburse you for these costs.
  • If you have problems with your claim, contact Kreidler’s office.

    The above is a press release from the office of the WA State Insurance Commissioner.  The Auburn Examiner has not independently verified its contents and encourages our readers to personally verify any information they find may be overly biased or questionable.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip to content