Below are just a few of the calls the Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to for the week of June 29-July 5, 2020. July 4th is one of, if not the, busiest day of the year for fire departments across the nation. VRFA firefighters responded to a total of 271calls for service. 182 were aid calls, 27 were fire calls, and 62were categorized as other.
911 – Requests for Service
- Aid Call: (Auburn) On Monday, June 29 firefighters responded to a child who had fallen off
playground equipment. The child suffered a significant arm injury. She was treated at the scene
and transported by private ambulance to Mary Bridge Hospital in Tacoma.
- Vehicle Accident: (Auburn) On Tuesday, June 30 at 7:35 p.m., firefighters responded with the
Auburn Police Department and King County Medic One to a single car into traffic light pole. The
patient was evaluated and transport to Tacoma General Hospital by King County Medic one
- Motor Vehicle Accident: (Auburn) On Wednesday, July 1 at 8:55 a.m., firefighters responded to a
two-vehicle accident on Auburn Way. The vehicles were turning onto the roadway from opposing
parking lots, headed in opposite directions. The vehicles met, nearly head-on, in the center turn
lane. There were three occupants total, with one adult female complaining of neck pain. She was
transported to a local hospital by private ambulance.
- Minor Fire: (Auburn) On Thursday, July 2 at 1:55 p.m., firefighters responded to an electrical fire
inside a stove. The power was turned off to the stove and no fire extension was found.
- Duplex Fire: (South Auburn) On Friday, July 3 at 6:15 p.m., firefighters responded to a fire in a
bedroom of a duplex. The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the unit of origin, and all
occupants evacuated safely.
- Residential Fire: (Kent) On Saturday, July 4 at 11:57 p.m., VRFA units responded with Puget
Sound Regional Fire Authority units for a house fire. VRFA units assisted in extinguishing a
house that had caught fire most likely due to fireworks. The scene was turned over to the
Puget Sound Fire and Rescue fire investigator to determine the cause.
- Motor Vehicle Accident: (Highway 167) On Sunday, July 5 at 1:30 a.m., VRFA firefighters
responded to Northbound 167 near highway 18 for a 1 car motor vehicle accident. Firefighters
arrived to find a single car had gone off the road and had caught fire. The four occupants that
were in the vehicle had gotten out and were relatively uninjured. The fire was extinguished and
the patients were released with WSP to wait for family.
- On Friday, July 3rd, an accidental fire occurred in the 900 block of 29th St SE in the City of Auburn.
The fire resulted from a malfunctioning wall heater and was quickly contained to the unit of origin.
Dollar loss is estimated at $105,000. 2 families were displaced
- On Saturday, July 4th, various fireworks-related incidents were investigated. 2 incidents at the
Muckleshoot fireworks stands resulted in minor hand injuries that were treated at local hospitals.