The City of Auburn believes that when residents and businesses are better informed about how their City operates, how decisions are made and how funds are allocated they will make better decisions about the future of their City. Therefore the objectives of the Auburn Civics Academy are:
- To involve and engage residents and businesses in learning about and understanding the operation of City government, and to improve communication between the City and those who live and work here.
- To provide insight into how decisions are made, how City funds are allocated, and how City departments operate.
- To empower and encourage a larger number of residents and business owners to become more civically engaged in future decisions affecting Auburn’s quality of life.
• Must be an Auburn resident, business owner/employee, or student 16+
• Must not be running for, or currently serving in, a political office
• Must be willing to commit to attendance of sessions (can miss TWO sessions and still graduate)
Register online at auburnwa.gov/civicsacademy before August 22nd.
Week One: Thursday, September 12: City Government 101
Week Two: Thursday, September 19: Where does your money go and what does it do? (Finance Department)
Week Three: Thursday, September 26: We Build This City (Public Works-Engineering)
Week Three: Saturday, September 28: We Maintain this City (Public Works-Maintenance & Operations) from 9am-12pm @M&O Facility
Week Four: Thursday, October 3: Planning & Building for Today and Tomorrow (Community Development)
Week Five: Thursday, October 10: The Place to Play (Auburn Parks, Arts & Recreation)
Week Six: Thursday, October 17: Connecting Our Community (Community Services)
Week Six: Saturday, October 19: Keeping Citizens Safe (VRFA and Auburn Police) from 9am-12pm @VRFA Station 33
Week 7: Thursday, October 24: Planning for Emergencies (Emergency Management)
Week 8: Wednesday, October 30: Let’s Get Down to Business (Economic Development, Sister Cities, Tourism)
Week 9: Thursday, November 7: Legal Department and Human Resources & Risk Management
Week 10: Thursday, November 14: All Things Technology-Connecting and Mapping Auburn’s Future (IT Department)
Week 11: Thursday, November 21: Graduation Reception and Ceremony
For more information:
Contact the Neighborhood Programs Coordinator at 253-876-1988 or via email.