The Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to 260 calls for service for the week of December 21-27, 2020. Year to Date our Valley Professional Firefighters have responded to a total of 12,991 calls. This puts 2020 on par with 2019 (12,987 calls).
182 (70%) were aid calls. Total aid calls in 2020 so far are 9,583 (-0.7% compared to 2019’s 9,647).
13 (5%) were fire calls. The number of fire calls is up by 8.8%, with 2020 having 446 calls and 2019 having 410.
65 (25%) were calls categorized as other. The number of other calls is also up (1.1%), with 2020 currently at 2,962 calls compared to 2019’s 2,930. Other calls include water rescues, HazMat calls, and ladder requests.
COVID-19 Testing Site
Specially trained VRFA EMTs assisted the King County Health Department in COVID-19 testing drive-up and walk-up residents at the GSA facility. This site administered approximately 4,000 tests between December 21 and December 28, 2020. 12.8% were positive. This is a 1.7% decrease from last week.
The positivity rate of the C St SE testing site and the City of Auburn’s positivity rate (21.5% – a 3.4% reduction from last week) are two different things. The C St SE testing site does not impact the positivity rate of the City of Auburn.
Calls for Service:
- Motor Vehicle Accident: (Lea Hill) On Monday, December 21 at 11:30 p.m., firefighters responded to a two car accident. Firefighters arrived on scene and found moderate damage to both vehicles. They evaluated one of the drivers who sustained minor injuries. The driver declined further treatment or transport and remained on scene with Auburn Police.
- Commercial Fire Alarm: (Auburn) On Monday, December 21 at 12:15 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the Outlet Collection Seattle for a kitchen fire in the Johnny Rockets restaurant. Firefighters extinguished the fire in the grill and checked the roof for possible fire extension. The fire is currently under investigation.
- Aid Call: (Auburn) On Tuesday, December 22 at 2:48 p.m., firefighters responded to an elderly man who collapsed on the sidewalk while walking his dog. A young girl that lives in the neighborhood alerted someone to call 911 and started CPR on the man. VRFA units arrived and worked with King County Medic One paramedics. Unfortunately, rescue efforts were not successful and the man was pronounced dead at the scene. A VRFA crew contacted the family with the assistance of Auburn PD.
- Aid Call: (Lakeland Hills) On Wednesday, December 23 at 9:29 a.m., firefighters assisted a middle-aged male who was involved in an alleged crime that involved a firearm. The patient had multiple abrasions due to a K9 application. The patient was left in care of APD.
- Structure Fire: (Lea Hill) On Thursday, December 24 at 2:52 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to a residential fire. First arriving crews found a fully involved attached garage that had extended to a nearby structure. Firefighters quickly extinguished the exterior fire on both structures; however, there was heavy damage to both. There were no injuries to firefighters or the homeowners. The fire is under investigation.
- Aid Call: (Auburn) On Thursday, December 24 at 4:15 p.m., firefighters assisted an adult female complaining of anxiety after eating a marijuana edible. She was examined and elected to stay home with her husband.
- Storage Unit Fire: (Federal Way) On Friday, December 25 at 8:04 a.m., firefighters responded with mutual aid to a Federal Way storage facility with multiple units on fire. Firefighters helped South King Fire and Rescue extinguish the blaze, remove smoke from occupancies, and provide salvage efforts. Unfortunately, one person was found deceased. Federal Way Police and King County Sheriffs are the investigating agencies.
- Chimney Fire: (Mountain View Fire & Rescue) On Friday, December 25 at 11:49 a.m., firefighters responded mutual aid to a chimney fire east of Auburn. The crew laddered the roof and used a chimney nozzle to extinguish the fire.
- Aid Call: (Auburn) On Sunday, December 27 at 9:40 a.m., firefighters and King County Medic One paramedics responded to a report of an unresponsive elderly female on the ground outside of her home. Assessment revealed the patient was having a cardiac event. CPR was started and continued during medic transport to a local hospital.
- On Thursday, December 17, an incendiary fire occurred in the 2500 block of I St NE in the City
of Auburn. The fire was quickly extinguished with no structural involvement. The case remains
an open active joint investigation with Auburn Police. Dollar loss is estimated at $1,000.On Monday, December 21, a commercial fire occurred in the 1100 block of Outlet Collection Way, in the City of Auburn. The fire was contained to cooking equipment and was extinguished mostly by restaurant employees. Dollar loss is estimated at $10,000.
- On 12/24, an accidental fire occurred in the 31600 block of 119th PL SE in the City of Auburn. The fire began in an attached carport and quickly spread to the residence and a 2nd nearby residence. Fire damage was extensive to both homes and dollar loss is estimated at $300,000.
The above information was provided by the Valley Regional Fire Authority.
The original publication of this blotter included C.A.R.E.S. data. The included information was for last week and has been removed.